"I have brought myself, by long meditation,
to the conviction that a human being with
a settled purpose must accomplish it,
and that nothing can resist a will which
will stake even existence upon its fulfillment."
-- Benjamin Disraeli
Becoming an entrepreneur is apparently one of the most dangerous of attempts. According to a report found on the Internet, the failure rate of new businesses within the first five years is up to 80%. The statistics vary a bit. What stood out in this report was that "according to Dun & Bradstreet reports, 'Businesses with fewer than 20 employees have only a 37% chance of surviving four years (of business) and only a 9% chance of surviving 10 years.' . . . Of these failed businesses, only 10% of them close involuntarily due to bankruptcy and the remaining 90% close because the business was not successful, did not provide the level of income desired or was too much work for their efforts."
I can relate to these statistics and I can see it being fulfilled through others. The good news is that I'm within two months of passing the threshold of four years and all looks well, but according to the statistic, the next six years are harder than I've seen in the first four--from a 37% survival rate down to only 9%. Wow. That's a lot of failure.
But, notice the other part of the statistic: only 10% of them close involuntarily. . . and the remaining 90% quit for various reasons.
What that tells me is desire is the foundation, and there is as wide a variety of desire as there are people.
Benjamin Disraeli's quote is at the guaranteed success end of desire, where other people may say, "let's try it and see what happens. . ." Having had the experience of closing a one and a half year old business when I was 31, I know how easy it is, and yet traumatic it is to quit what could have been a growing enterprise. It's easy to get caught up into something that distracts you from your original goal. It's like going down the road and taking many side roads just to see what is there, when staying on the main road would almost surely get you to the goal.
What changed in me is the level of desire. I won't quit, and there have been many, many opportunities. I'm also committed to the main highway until the goal is in sight, then I'll consider some side trips.
There Is Always A Way If You Want It Enough.
Spread Some Joy Today--Want to change lives for the better today? Smile.